In this blog, I will be discussing a really nice feature in Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central which can improve the speed and efficiency for users to define and generate Reports and Batch Jobs. In this post, I will be using the Aged Accounts Payable report as an example.
When running reports in Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central, users are typically presented with a page that lets them select a range of options, parameters, and set filters to define which data should be included in the report. This page is called the request page.
Reports can include one or more ‘Saved Settings’ which users can apply to the report from the request page under the field called “Use default values from”. The ‘Saved Settings’ are basically predefined options and filters for the parameters available for the report being run. Using the ‘Saved Settings’ is a fast and reliable way to consistently generate reports that contain the parameters for report data.
If you have the appropriate permissions, you can view, create, and modify these settings for all reports for all users in a company. You can assign these settings for a report to individual users, or to all users in the Business Central company.
Let’s look at an example:
- Open the Aged Accounts Payable report.
- In the field ‘Use default values from’ you will see the ‘Last used options and filters’. This will be whatever your options, parameters, and filters were from the last time you ran the report (if ever).
- Click into the ‘Use default values from’ and then ‘Select from full list’.
- Note: You can also use the tell me (search) and go directly to ‘Report Settings’ to create these. If navigating in this way you will see report settings for all reports in Business Central.
- The Report Settings list will open showing all report settings for the Aged Accounts Payable report (if opened via the ‘Select from full list’ in the ‘Use default values from’)
- In the menu click ‘New’
- Give the report setting a suitable name, and you can also decide if you want this setting to be available for other users or if only for you.
- Define the parameters for the report setting. In my example, I’m just using Vendor posting Group = EU.
- After clicking OK your report settings are available to be selected and used.
- Your report settings will now be available for repeat use whenever you need to run your report without having to define filters again for each report you run.
And there you have it, created your first saved report setting!